Participating in physical activity is very safe for most people. However, starting any exercise programme carries an element of risk. The following questions will help you determine your readiness to exercise and whether it is necessary for you to seek further medical advice before becoming more physically active.
If you answer YES to any of these questions, please seek medical advice before beginning the 4D Life programme to clarify that it is safe for you to become physically active at this current time and in your current state of health.
- Have you fallen in the last six months due to loss of balance?
- Do you have significant issues with freezing?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem (eg. back, knee or hip) that could be made worse by a change in your physical activity?
- Do you have a history of cancer?
- Do you have diabetes?
- Do you have epilepsy?
- Do you have a history of cardiac problems, including hypertension?
- Do you have a history of respiratory problems?
- Do you have osteoporosis or arthritis?
- Do you have any other diagnosed medical conditions other than Parkinson’s?
- Are you pregnant, or is there any chance you may be pregnant?
- Are you recovering from recent injury, surgery or illness?
- Do you know of any other reason why you should not take part in physical activity or make changes to your diet?
If you answered NO to all of these questions you can begin the 4D Life programme, gradually increasing your physical activity levels and building up from your current ability. If you are unsure or have any concerns about starting a physical activity and nutrition programme, please do seek medical advice relating to your personal circumstances.
I have read and understood this Suitability Assessment. I understand that the 4D Life programme is designed for people living with early to mid-stage Idiopathic Parkinson’s, for example stage 1-3 on the Hoehn and Yahr scale. I confirm that I am voluntarily engaging in an acceptable level of exercise and any change in physical activity levels involves an element of risk. If at any time during my membership of 4D Life any of these circumstances change, I will seek medical advice before continuing.